Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: How to delete a large directory

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: How to delete a large directory
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:10:37 -0500

* bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx> [2003 Apr 21 19:58 -0500]:
> I wish to delete a large directory that contains 263 directories and
> 1400+ files.
>  rm  -r   *  asks if I want to descend into each subdirectory and then
> asks if I want to remove a file or a directory.  I would have to answer
> "y" 2000 times.
>
> rmdir tells me that the directories are not empty.
>
> There has to be an easy way to do this, but I can't find it.

I think rm -rf dirname will do it.  I prefer working in  Midnight
Commander and pressing F8 on the directory you wish to remove and
answering yes to All will wipe out the files rather quickly as well.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and