Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Page redirect?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Page redirect?
From: Xjuzr@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 01:51:30 EST

Hello,
 I just re read your post and see you didn't want to it that way.
A meta tag refresh/redirect is a possibility if you have a place to send the
visitors.

--snip--
Redirecting works like this: when visitors click on a Web page that contains
a META refresh tag inside the HEAD section, they're sent to a different page
without actually clicking on a link. This is called page side redirection.

Here's the syntax:

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="2;
             URL=http://www.ADifferentSite.com/";>

This META tag will send a visitor to the new URL after 2 seconds. You can set
the timing to 0 seconds and have it jump immediately or set it for 30 seconds
or longer.
--snip--

Personally, I wouldn't want an established site with other sites linking to
me and search engine listings, et al. being sent to another address.

I would just move to the new hoster, change nameservers on the domain record,
and let the old hoster keep the rent.

It happens all the time, hosters are used to it.

Regards,
xj