Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Page redirect?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Page redirect?
From: Xjuzr@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 01:34:41 EST

Hello,
  There are several ways to do a redirect. But given your situation, just put
the entire site on its new server, which will have it's own set of
nameservers, then have the site/doamin owner change the domain record to
reflect the new nameserver. This still leaves a set of files on the original
host to ride out the contract and once the nameserver changes propagate, your
site owner would have the full services of the new host.
  As a rule, I tell my clients who transfer to allow at least a week of lap
time for file transfer, code modification and nameserver propagation to not
have any downtime.
  That is the good side to this, which is no downtime during the nameserver
switch. I always add some small thing that's different on the home page of
the second set of files, so all I have to do to see for sure when the
nameserver changes take effect, usually 12 to 36 hr., by just checking the
URL to the home page. If I see my added exclamation mark on the title of the
second set of files in my browser.