Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Linux boots to a login

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux boots to a login
From: Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:38:20 -0500

Yes, I prefer the text logon for a couple of reasons:
If someone comes over and tries to "play" with the computer, they won't
know how to login to linux.  I can supervise the login and the use of
linux.  I don't care what they do with XP, it is just an OS to play
games on.

If the video card or monitor configuration go defunk on linux, then I
can make the changes in text mode without getting stuck in an xwindows
loop.  That has only happened at work when we were installing a
different video card driver and was changing the settings.  The tech
insisted on a graphical logon since that is what we do with Win2k and
XP.  We got it fixed and is still using a graphical logon.  He doesn't
like the console screens.  Oh well, life goes on..... ~Anne