Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Jelp with using Cistron RADIUS server, version 1.6.6

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Jelp with using Cistron RADIUS server, version 1.6.6
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:17:23 -0500

If i remember correctly, Cistron radiusd just uses UNIX user accounts on the
machine, which means that if you run mail software that uses UNIX user
accounts instead of it's own database of users (qmail, sendmail, and
everyone I've ever used take UNIX accounts), they automatically have an
e-mail address on the machine in addition to the capability to dial in.

as far as adding users go, 'man useradd' and 'man groupadd' should
suffice...

just a note of warning: by default in linuxconf (a tool you should become
familiar with if you are running RedHat and you don't want to know the
manual way to do it), I believe adding users to the system gives them a
default shell of /bin/bash or similar...  this means that unless other
precautions have been made, they have shell access via telnet, ssh, or any
other method that has not been disabled.  if you don't want users to have
shell access, set their shell to something like /sbin/false or /sbin/nologin
(i can't recall how redhat is setup to do that by default)...

also, i still would suggest checking out linuxnewbie.org and linuxdocs.org,
since a lot of the basic user management is covered in existing documents on
the web (and on your system if you installed the various HOWTO documents,
which RH does by default)

gLaNDix