Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Large disk drives && Ancient Bios'es

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Large disk drives && Ancient Bios'es
From: "Jonathan Hall" <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:39:04 -0500 (CDT)

1) Why are you using FAT?

2) I've never heard of an old BIOS _corrupting_ a large hard drive.  Some
old BIOSes simply _won't work_ with larger hard drives--particularly in DOS
or DOS-derrived (psuedo-)operating systems.

Linux and most any other "real" OS doesn't really care what the BIOS says
about the hardware--it will detect the hard drive (usually accurately) on
its own.  The only thing the BIOS matters for in that case is booting.

I use a 10gb hard drive in my 486 laptop without any problem.  The BIOS
(amazingly) recognizes it as an 8gb drive... I have a 1gb Windows partition
at the front of the drive, then the rest is for Linux.  Once the kernel is
booted, Linux detects the HD itself, and properly detects all 10gb and uses
it without a problem.