Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...
From: Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:27:25 -0500

You are right -- the default file system for XP home & XP pro is NTFS.
 The only way to get it to install on a Fat32 file system is to use a
bootdisk and format for fat32, then install XP.  Fat32 XP will run some
of the older pgms, whereas NTFS XP won't and requires consumers to buy
the newer pgms.  It works great with their marketing strategy, buy the
latest and greatest M$ OS for $200+, that can be installed only one one
machine, and then go out and buy all new pgms to run on it.  XP Office
is ~$650 retail.  What a deal?!?

I opted to buy better hardware, ie faster AMD chip (1800+), more RAM
(512M), and a better video card (nVidia 32mb DDR), bigger hdd (60gb) and
run RedHat 7.3.  RedHat setup the drivers better and easier than what XP
does.  I'm a very happy camper.  It even runs Quake 3 better than M$
does.  Jeff Shouse installed and tested it for me.  ~Anne