Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: telnet timeout

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: telnet timeout
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:26:36 -0500

This depends on a wide variety of factors.

There is no _default_ timeout in the telnet protocol.  However, any system
may have a timeout specified after which an idle session is disconnected.
If you want to establish a timeout, you might look for the 'idled' package
and install it on your system.

Also, if you're using a NAT firewall/gateway/router, every active connection
uses some amount of memory and resources on that machine.  This includes any
open (regardless of whether it's active or not) telnet session.  Because of
this, some (many?  most?) NAT implimentations will have an idle timeout for
inactive connections and may disconnect them if they are unused, either for
a specific time, or perhaps if it's the "oldest" inactive connection, to
free up those resources for other connections.

AFAIK, Linux NAT/IP Masquerading does not do this (at least not by
default--it's probably configurable if you cared to do it).  I do know,
though, that some of the cheaper SOHO routers will do this.

From your question, though, it sounds like 'idled' would probably do what
you want.

-- Jonathan

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 03:59:26PM +0530, Hareesh Haridas wrote:

> hello could somebody clear my doubt please?=20
>
> if you telnet to a machine is there a timeout value after which the
> connection is automatically terminated? if yes, where/how does one
> configure it on user basis/ systemwide ?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Hareesh.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell,
Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.