Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2002:
[linux-help] Re: CD-ROM boot problems RH7.3 --> Now X graphical login.

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD-ROM boot problems RH7.3 --> Now X graphical login.
From: "Ivan Trail" <itrail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:03:44 -0500

OK, I should have provided more information...

I can get X to run beautifuly by using the command startx.  It wil then run
the window manager of choice.

The only problem I am having is that the system starts with a text login,
which is no real problem, but I am trying to teach the family to appreciate
linux and a few friends also.  Let's face it, most average everyday computer
users are not comfortable with a command prompt, or shell, or what have you.
Thus I would like to have the graphical login to impress the neighbors.

The thing I was looking for was the X configuration tool.  On Mandrake it is
called XDrake or the like, but I cannot remember the equivalent on RH.  I
know also that there are several different tools to achieve the same thing.
I just cannot remember the names of them.

The suggestions from all of you are splendid and I really appreciate them,
and I will report back on what I have found.  I love the real technical
answers, as it helps me re-learn, or learn the way all this works.  It is
hard to believe how much this has changed since RH5.2 and Mandrake 6.5!

Thanks again.

Ivan