Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2002:
[linux-help] Re: CD-ROM boot problems RH7.3

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD-ROM boot problems RH7.3
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 11:23:22 -0500

Tom Hull wrote:
> Ivan Trail wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 01 June 2002 06:12 pm, you wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, and don't forget the final :
>>>
>>>For a graphical login, the line in /etc/inittab should read
>>>
>>>id:5:initdefault:
>>>

>>>Adam
>>
>>The file has the line as you said for a graphical login.  IE runlevel 5.
>>wonder why it doesnt like it.
>>
>>Time for a lot of research.....
>

> the other interesting line in /etc/inittab looks like this (at least in
> Red Hat 7.2):
>
>   x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> this runs /etc/X11/prefdm on entering run-level 5, which the
> "id:5:initdefault:"
> line sets as the default. next thing is to track down /etc/X11/prefdm: it's a
> bash script, and the first thing it does is to look for two files:
>
>   /etc/sysconfig/autologin
>   /usr/sbin/autologin
>
> now, my system doesn't have either of those files, so even if i changed my
> initdefault line to runlevel 5, i still wouldn't get a graphic login, because
> there's no configuration file to tell prefdm to run it, and there's no
> program for prefdm to run. if you don't have these files, you probably
> have to load some more rpms. the following look like candidates:

In most cases you would not have autologin. That is for doing an
autologin with no user action.

This file "/etc/X11/prefdm" looks and decides which windows manager you
are using and sets up the display manager for it. gnome, kde, or other

My understanding is that X will not even start for him.
Although he has not confirmed it I get the impression he is starting in
text mode, run level 3.  Thus this line in the inittab is irrelevant
since it won't even start from the command line.

If he is not in run level 3 he should be there to track down the
problems with X before he tries the graphical start up.