Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Hacked server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Hacked server
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:10:21 -0600

A short while ago Ron Straathof wrote:

> Someone got into our Redht Linux 6.1 server and uploaded some of there own
> programs and files. When I try to delte these files or overwrite these file
> while logged on as root user I get the following:-
>
> rm: cannot unlink `/etc/rc.d/init.d/network': Operation not permitted
>
> Can you please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you know exactly what they did to your server. The best thing you
you can do and what you SHOULD do is: Disconnect the server from the
internet, fire up your back-up server, you do have one right? Then wipe
and reinstall, preferably to the newest version with all the security
updates and errata, get it well locked down, get everything from your
backups back on, then reconnect to the internet.

RR
--
Randy Reames   randy@xxxxxxxxxx   www.reames.org   ICQ-115274915
Web Developer  Midwest Energy   www.mwenergy.com   Hays, KS, USA