Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: KDE 2.2.1 Probs

To: Linux ACLUG Help <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: KDE 2.2.1 Probs
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:12:45 -0600 (CST)

I've had problems like this with KDE before.  I don't remember exactly
how it started, but I recall doing something to the font settings that
fouled up font/fontsize/spacing, and being completely unable to "undo" the
change. I don't think I ever found out exactly what the problem was, but
here are some sugesstions:

1.  If by "reinstall", you mean reinstalling the rpms, I'd say hold off
for now.  You can always just exit X-windows, delete the .kde/.kderc stuff
in your home directory, and then restart.  KDE will have dumped your old
config files and will act as if your running it for the first time
(therefore restoring the default font settings which look ok). WARNING:
I don't believe there is anything other than config settings in the .kde*
files and directories, but double check before deleting.

2.  For a more permanent solution, try upgrading to KDE 2.2.2 (it may be
fixed by now, although I don't use KDE much anymore so I can't verify
this).  You should be able to find RHL 7.2 rpms of 2.2.2 from either the
Redhat or KDE site.

Good luck,
Ben