Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] FileSystem Mx

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] FileSystem Mx
From: Nathan <nathan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:28:26 -0700

 Hello,

I just had a power outage.  I immediately unplugged everything.  After the
power came back on, when I was trying to reboot my 486DX2, 66Mhz, 32MB ram,
Linux box (with a 30GB HD), it said there were errors on my hda4.  I had to
quickly learn about fsck &e2fsck...something I'd never done before.

fsck couldn't fix anything or even complete its check of the partition.
e2fsck seemed to do OK, but it still found a bunch of "uncorrectable
errors"....but it did fix some errors, and now I can boot normally without a
check being forced.

Question #1:
I'm trying to understand the man page for e2fsck.  I used: e2fsck -cr
/dev/hda4.  Next time I'll want to use a C as well.  The way the man page
reads, it almost looks like I should use it like this:  e2fsck -cr -C
/dev/hda4.  True?  Or can I use it like this:  e2fsck -crC /dev/hda4.  The
man page shows the C option like this [ -C fd ].  What's the fd all about?
fixed disk?  hda?

Question #2:
What's the most graceful way to switch runlevels?  It wouldn't let me run
e2fsck after a complete boot.  I had to reboot &wait for the boot process to
get stuck on the prompt asking for root password for maintenance.  I'm
guessing it was then leaving me in runlevel 1.  The problem was, I couldn't
get to man pages until I booted normally.

Thanks,
Nathan