Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Moving to new Hard Drive

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Moving to new Hard Drive
From: Curtis Hawthorne <cghawthorne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:07:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I recently bought a new 40 gig hard drive and am
wanting to move my current linux server over to it.  I
was planning to attach both hard drives to my system,
boot using a rescue disk (so that nothing's running in
the background), format the new hard drive, re-create
my partitioning scheme, and move the data over with a
simple cp -R * type command.

Is this the best way to do this, or am I missing
something?

Thanks!

Curtis H.