Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] ipchains permanency

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] ipchains permanency
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:25:10 -0600

I'm trying to understand and use ipchains to filter
packets on my masquerading, dual NIC Potato. :)

The IPCHAINS-HOWTO (in the Making Rules Permanent
section) saus to use this command to see what rules
are currently in place:

ipchains-save > /etc/ipchains.rules

It then tells me to create a script that runs every
time I boot....putting the ipchians rules in place
just before the NICs becomes active.

But when I ran the command above, there were already a
bunch of rules in place.  WHERE'D THEY COME
FROM?  I've been grepping to try and find out, but
have learned nothing.  Did ipmasq put them
there?  Will I screw up ipmasq if I start creating my
own chains?  I still don't understand the ipmasq
rules....just a bunch of files in a directory.  I can
tell the masq rules are working, but I don't know
about the deny rules.  Anyone have a good place for me
to read about Debian ipmasq rules?

I'm following the directions in the IPCHAINS-HOWTO
(somewhat blindly).  I just don't want to mess
something up with my Potato because I was following
directions for a Red Hat or something.

Thanks,
Nathan