Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: MPEG Video on Xfree -- no joy

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: MPEG Video on Xfree -- no joy
From: gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 01:10:34 -0500

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 22:22, you wrote:
> I am running mostly XFree 4.0.3, but the Xserver is still 3.3.6 as
> apt-get didn't force the upgrade and I haven't taken the plunge yet.
> Are these errors related to the old Xserver, or is there some option I
> need to enable in XF86Config to make video playing work?

hmm...  i've run 3.3.6, 4.0.3, and 4.1.0 on slackware and been able to use
the SMPEG player (not the smpeg-xmms plugin for xmms) to play most all of the
MPEGs I've got...  Also use 4.1.0 on freebsd w/o a hitch...  I've seen both
of those errors you've gotten numerous times (even when i'm running x
programs w/o a hicup)...  not sure what they are but most of the time,
they're pretty insignificant...

it may be something to do w/ you running part 4.x and part 3.x since there
were a lot of changes from 3 -> 4...  what X server are you running?  iirc, i
didn't have to enable anything in particular in my XF86Config file to get
MPEGs working....

now, if someone could just reverse engineer the Sorenson codec for QuickTime
files, then i'd be happy!  (oh, and .asf support would be nice)

gLaNDix

--
<<< lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 5 06:16:31 CDT 2001
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LLOYDIX >>>