Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Need ideas for online business.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Need ideas for online business.
From: Ironrose <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:58:23 -0500

You could buy the parts from National Computer/Outlet store or the
Saturday sale if you like to build your own computer OR you could buy a
computer and it would come with a warranty.  If you bought a popular
name brand, like Dell or Compaq, then if you had any problems with the
computer, then you would have to ship it off, usually to KC.  If you buy
from National, then the computer could be serviced locally and usually
within 1-2 days while under warranty.

As far as the ISP, then DSL or RR would be best, they charge you more if
you are a business (because you will have more traffic to your site) and
you would probably want a static IP address.

As far as a business, what do you like to do and what are you good at?
Be sure that it is something that you really like doing since there may
be days that you spend 16+ hours getting the business started and
keeping it running.  Definately running Linux is the BEST choice for the
OS.  I checked out NT for my servers 2 years ago and it was going to
cost me >$5k just for the software to get started.  I quickly changed my
mind about M$ and I am so glad that I did.  ~Ironrose