Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] Re: can't log on

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: can't log on
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:07:11 -0500

I had a similar thing happen to me, when I was trying to set up masquerade.
The ip-masqHOWTO says to put the following lines in a firewall file with all
the ipchains lines:
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio

After I did that I couldn't login - symptoms like you have.  Rebuilt the
system.  Second time it happened, I went in with "linux 1" at lilo and removed
those lines from the firewall file and was able to log in.

I don't know what these three lines are supposed to do, but one of them is a
killer.  I don't use them anymore.
Good luck, bruce