Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Consumption of free memory

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Consumption of free memory
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:22:39 -0500

John,
Is you computer having problems? You didn't mention any. If you are
concerned about a stray process, you would probably want to study the
output of the 'top' or 'ps' commands.

If it is only a matter of lots of memory being "used", you've noticed a
*feature* of Linux, not a bug. Doesn't it seem wastful to buy a lot of RAM,
but it only gets used when you load a lot of apps at the same time? The
Linux kernel sees that you have unused memory, and it uses it as additional
cache or buffers to increase performance. Whenever more memory is needed
for applications, it is still available. Since RAM performance is
significantly better than swap performance, it is just plain smarter to use
the RAM if is is available. You'll notice in the 'free' output below that
while it was using a lot of the memory (maybe 60% of the total RAM), swap
was untouched.

(Remember, there is a reason you are using Linux instead of Windoze.)

John