Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Sound card recommendations?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Sound card recommendations?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:31:34 -0500

Hi all.

I've decided to try and do some audio processing with my latest
computer.  I'd like to be able to record from a standard line level
audio source that has CD quality.  I currently have an old Pro Audio
Spectrum 16 (I bought it in '93) that works well enough for sound
output, but seems to have a bunch of problems on the recording side (I'd
never tried recording until now).

I would like some input on what the group thinks a good buy for this
application.  I wish to use this mostly for recording so I can build
some audio collections and burn my own CDs.  The audio source is my
DirecTV receiver, so simple ripping is out of the question.  I have PCI
and ISA slots in this machine and it is a 200 MHz AMD K-6 processor
running Debian 2.2r3.  I am currently using the OSS Free sound drivers,
but have no problem going with the ALSA drivers if they support a given
card better.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good