Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: ftp server for webserver

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: ftp server for webserver
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:08:45 -0500 (CDT)

On 12 Jun 2001 cncplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I just set up an Apache webserver on my linux box, and it's running and
> working
> great, but i want to beable to get into my webserver besides telneting in when
> i'm somewhere else. And, i also want to let my friends beable to login and
> restrict them to there home area but still have right to do the normal user
> commands, so that they can also have a webpage. This idea might sound dumb but
> i'm a 16 year old kid and all i do is get up and go to work and work on
> computers, and then come home and work on computers(tired don't really know
> why
> i added that part) i've tried to setup proftpd, and wu-ftpd, and i'm running
> RH7

what *I* would do is just setup ProFTPD (on RH, it shouldn't require much
work at all) and have them visit
ftp://<username>:<password>@<your_machine> in IE or NS or whatever they
use...  that way, they have a web interface to FTP (assuming they know
very little or nothing about FTP...)  you can setup ProFTPD to "jail"
their accounts to their home directory and even set it up to only allow
your account to go elsewhere...  just visit www.proftpd.org and view the
manual there...  has easy-to-follow instructions for configuring your
/etc/proftpd.conf file...

good luck!
gLaNDix

<<< Linux lloydix 2.4.4 #3 Mon Jun 4 14:09:46 CDT 2001 i586 unknown >>>

    Homer: Guess what, kids?  They're going to pay us $50 a day to film
           some of the movie here.
  Crewman: Yeah, we'll run that cable through here.
            [starts hammering into the wall]
    Homer: Careful, now -- [turns around] Hey!  Didn't you direct
           "Unnatural Discretion"?
 Director: [modest] Yes, I did.
    Homer: [holding his news] Phew-ee!  Woo!  Oh!  You know, I never
           walk out of a movie, but -- yecch!
Assistant: Ahem, I've got an idea Mr. Simpson.  Why don't you get
           something to eat from our food truck?
            [Homer flies off; a cloud of dust retains his form]
           Mist -- Mr. Simpson?  [pokes at dust]
                -- Cartoon physics revisited, "Radioactive Man"