Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: inetd and xinetd
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:27:01 -0500

On Thursday 31 May 2001 13:28, you wrote:
> I'd like to install xinetd, but beyond inetd.conf conversions, I don't see
> any docs on how to actually get Linux to use xinetd instead of inetd on
> boot. Any ideas?

If you just install the rpm for it, it should configure itself to run at
startup.

Likewise on your ftp server. As I remember on RH 6.2, there's a package
called ftp-server*.rpm. Once you install that and (x)inetd, ftp will run when
a connection is requested.

Drop me a line if you have trouble getting it going, I'm doing this on
systems I set up at work. I scripted the setup, but I can go back and see
exactly what I did if you need.

Greg