Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: forget root password

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: forget root password
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:25:59 -0500

On Sunday 20 May 2001 09:18, you wrote:

> This is my problem if redhat is like that when ever you forget the password
> you can go to single mode and chainge it what the hell about security in
> redhat any one can reboot the dam machine and chainge the dam passwd.
> How can some one disable this option. In my openion if you forget the dam
> password its better that you format and reinstall the os because we call it
> a pasword cause you need to keep it in mind.

Single user mode only works on the local console, so the person who wants to
use it to compromise your machine has to be in the same room with it. There
is basically no such thing as security once someone has physical access to
the machine. They can boot a rescue diskette and then mount your hard drive.
If they want to do a DOS or something like that, they can pull the thing
apart and whack your hard drive with a sledgehammer.

Sure, there's probably a way to password protect single user mode too (I
don't know how to do it), but there are plenty of other ways someone else can
get into your stuff if they have physical access.

I think that if you run a machine that has to sit in a public place, you
should keep a backup handy and restore from it often. Otherwise, who knows
what'll end up on the thing.

Greg