Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Q-mail

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Q-mail
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 10:02:36 -0500

Qmail is just another mailer daemon. It strives to be more secure than
Sendmail, but I can't say whether that's the case or not.  I've used both,
and there's not a lot of difference from an end user perspective.  The
biggest difference I can see is support: ask on any mailing list and you'll
get answers about Sendmail, but very few people seem to be versed on Qmail.

As for Sendmail, there are whole books devoted just to it. It's possibly the
most widely used mailer daemon on the internet.  Sendmail isn't the easiest
to configure, and it suffers from more security exploits than other mailers,
but it seems to be the defacto mailer daemon.

There are a number of mailer daemons out there to choose from: Sendmail,
Qmail, Exim, Postfix, Zmailer and others. Some mailers are more robust and
deal better with heavy loads.  Which to choose is dependent on what your
needs are, and personal preference.

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx