Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Security Issues

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Security Issues
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 12:29:50 -0500

On Friday 04 May 2001 13:29, you wrote:
> I just recieved an interesting piece of e-Mail from on eof the sysadmins at
> my DSL provider, telling me that somebody has hijacked one of my machines.

Like Dale says, you're probably looking at reinstalling everything. There's
some forensic debugging info at the honeynut project that might help you
figure out what got exploited.

Obviously the first step is to get it OFF the net until it's cleaned up and
secured. If they know your IP, you can be assured they'll be back.

Installing some security logging software like portsentry might give you some
advanced notice that they're workin on your machine.

Greg