Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Security Issues

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Security Issues
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 09:31:53 -0500

This sounds suspiciously like someone has dropped a root kit on you.  If that's
the case, then there are likely a number of compromised programs on your
machine, and you won't be able to tell by the logs that anything has happened.
The advice that I have always seen given in these cases is to wipe your drives
and reinstall.  Then make sure you have all the latest security patches applied
when you rebuild it.

Alternately, you can reinstall the base packages and go on safari for whatever
else may have been compromised.  Either way, it's not going to be much fun.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Secretary & Website Maintainer - info@xxxxxxxxx