Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: SCSI and IDE

To: "'linux-help@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SCSI and IDE
From: "Cavgalar, Murat A (Alex)" <cavgalar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:10:35 -0400

Here is the scenario I used with Symbios SYM8751SPE ultra wide scsi host
adapter. ( by the way they all have the option I am getting ready to give
you.)

First, install a SCSI host adapter and get into its config mode and select
the wake mode to call.  This way scsi drive will not spin until you select
the drive. Therefore you will not draw the extra current out of your power
supply in every boot sequence.
Second, in your hardware bios, choose the ide drive1 as your primary master,
and the ide drive2 as your primary slave, and your cdrom as secondary
master.
Third, from lilo, choose your operating system. At this stage what I did was
actually to load linux in the scsi.
My system worked under the above conditions until I decided to get rid off
windows.

Alexandros Cavgalar
Lucent Technologies
Supply Chain Network