Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2001:
[linux-help] Re: compiling portsentry

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: compiling portsentry
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:03:21 -0500

I think the package you want is egcs. I don't know what version comes with
rh6.2, but if you're interested I can get it to you tomorrow.

There is a bunch of other stuff which you may want that gets installed when
you select the "Development" option. For a list of those packages, look on
the cdrom at a file called "comps" (I think it's in directory
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat, but I can't remember for sure...) Anyway, look for a
section in the file that starts with "0 Development". A list of packages to
be installed for that option follows. That makes it relatively easy for you
to go add the ones from that list after the fact.

Greg

On Sunday 15 April 2001 22:00, you wrote:
> I'm stuck.
> Trying to install portsentry on RH 6.2.  Downloaded the portsentry.gz file,
> tarred it and edited all the files.
>
> Next step, make linux.  Got "make: command not found"  So I found the
> make-3.78....rpm  file on the RH CD and rpmed it into the system.
>
> Tried make linux again - Got "cc: command not found"
>
> There is no man cc or  man gcc.  Find can't locate cc or gcc.  There is no
> rpm for cc or gcc on the RH disk.
>
> Do I need to reinstall RH6.2 again and say yes to development?  Or what?
>
> bruce

"Wow, I didn't know being a super hero could be so painful."