Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] FW: Embedded Linux Journal Newsletter -- March 22nd

To: "'linux-help@xxxxxxxxx'" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] FW: Embedded Linux Journal Newsletter -- March 22nd
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:01:03 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From:   Embedded Linux Journal Newsletter [SMTP:html@xxxxxxx]
Sent:   Thursday, March 22, 2001 12:36 PM
To:     elj-announce@xxxxxxx
Subject:        Embedded Linux Journal Newsletter-March 22nd

Embedded Linux Journal Newsletter for March 22, 2001
Welcome
Welcome to newcomers and welcome back to the rest of you. Layout of ELJ 3
is starting now. There will be a new contest (read: free hardware to play
with) in this issue. For the ZF contest you needed to be a hardware hacker
to make something. This time, while hardware hacking is allowed, even you
software-only types should have a chance to put something together. Stay
tuned for more info.
Open-Source Point of Sale System
Late last year there was a lot of interest in building an open-source Point
of Sale system. While many people were interested in a Linux-based
solution, the project is not intended to be tied to any specific OS.
Rather, it can be thought of as a toolkit to help others build the POS they
need.
Enthusiasm was so high that I started a mailing list. We got a lot of
people looking for answers but few willing to actually start doing the
work. Are you interested in this project? Willing to jump in and get your
hands dirty? If so, join the list, and let's see what we can all get done.
I would like to find people willing to head up two efforts: collecting data
on currently used POS terminals and collecting some general requirements
from those who want to see the results of the project.  Having worked in
this area for a few years, I am very willing to help get people pointed in
the right direction. An added new benefit is that IBM makes a lot of the
POS terminals, and clearly they are now supporting Linux in a big way in
other areas.
If I haven't scared you away, jump in. The mailing list is
opos-list@xxxxxxx. Send e-mail: mailto:opos-list-request@xxxxxxx to the
list with the word "subscribe" in the body of your message to join.
New Version of Open RTLinux
On March 17, FSMLabs announced the availability of the RTLinux v3.0 CD. In
their words: "Based on Red Hat 6.2 for x86 processors, it contains the
RTLinux hard realtime kernel, the floppy disk-sized MiniRTL (for small
footprint embedded applications), and the RTIC Lab realtime graphical
interface, as well as a complete Linux distribution. In addition to
standard manpage documentation, the CD also comes with a printed
installation guide, an on-line quickstart guide and ready-to-compile
example programs to get users rolling."
For those serious about real time, interrupt latency is less than 20
microseconds for standard PCs and less than 10 microseconds for some
embedded processors. That's about as real time as I am used to.
Orders:
http://www.rtlinux.com/cd.html are now being taken.
LINUX LUNACY-October 21
Who says learning about Linux can't be fun. Linux Journal, in conjunction
with Geek Cruises, has put together a Caribbean cruise to celebrate 10
years of Linux. Sail the high seas and enjoy four Caribbean ports of call
as you learn new skills, network and...relax!
A brochure of the upcoming Linux Lunacy cruise is now available on-line:
http://www.geekcruises.com/pdf/LL_brochure.pdf as a pdf.
The itinerary is also available on-line:
http://www.hollandamerica.com/servlet/ItineraryDetailBuildServlet?nbrD
est0000&idItin