Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2001:
[linux-help] Re: SuSE Linux 7.0 for PowerPC

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SuSE Linux 7.0 for PowerPC
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:06:14 -0600

Are you the one that asked about Mac Linux distros a few weeks back? If so,
I'd suggest that you do a little more research first - particularly for
your model.

Probably the best site is linuxppc.org, for the LinuxPPC distro - the main
distro for Macs. They have a decent linuxppc-usr mailing list -- read the
archives, join the list, read the other documentation on the site.

Another site is linuxppc.com, which is the commercial side of the distro.
This site dovetails the .org site, but offers other helpful info and news.

There's a good FAQ-O-Matic for Linux on Macs: http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net

That said, have you tried going to the SuSE web site? I just looked and
found out that you have 60 days of installation support with your purchase.
Since you paid for it, you might as well get your money's worth...

If your problem is that you simply want the original settings restored to
Open Firmware (like resetting BIOS), you need to zap the PRAM. To do this,
hold down the following keys while rebooting: Command-Option-P-R. Continue
holding them down until the computer makes the startup chime about three
times, and release the keys.

(This reminds me of a non-Mac tech solution for any Mac problem: "Zap the
PRAM, rebuild the desktop, and install Eudora." I guess it's easier than
having to re-install windoze...)

Good luck,
John