Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Minimum requirements

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Minimum requirements
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:32:50 -0600

My company is running an accounting/parts database program that crashes
every so often.  I told the manager that it can't be the server because it
has a 120 day uptime.  The program support group sent a list of system
recommendations and I have a question about one.

CPU speed for server and workstations: Pentium 333 or better
RAM Workstations: 64 mg or faster (sic) (Double for Win NT)
RAM Server: 128 mgs or faster (sic)
Network Card: 100 megabit or faster
Network configuration: dedicated server
UTP Cat 5 cable

Does a person really need a 100 Mbit network?  Would this make much of a
difference?

The workstation is a Pentium 166 MHz running Win NT with 64MB of RAM, so
that could use so help.  I don't see a need for a 100 Mbit card.  These
people appear to be worse than Microsoft for system requirements.

Also, on their checklist for success is this entry: Approved operating
system at each workstation and the server (_True_ Microsoft 98/NT).  I am
not running an NT server.  My Linux servers are doing just fine and with
Samba I doubt the workstations even know the difference.  The checklist
also has opportunistic file-locking disabled on NT file servers and
write-behind caching disabled.  I disable op-lock in Samba for this
program's section.  How does one disable write-behind caching in Samba?  I
haven't been able to find that.

Ryan

--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/