Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2000:
[linux-help] Re: (no subject)

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: (no subject)
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:03:34 -0600

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> This is the last few lines in my var/log/warn could someone tell me what
> isgoing on?
> Nov 23 00:01:27 hal kernel: Directory sread (sector 0x1d) failed
> Nov 23 00:01:31 hal last message repeated 15 times

I'm not familiar with the particular logfile (is the warn file something that's
distribution specific?, I usually see the output from printk going to
/var/log/messages).

Anyway, it's from a file system thing that's getting inodes from pointers in a
directory file. Apparently you have one that's messed up. Either that or you're
getting hard disk errors on reads for certain block numbers. In any case, I'd
go do an fsck and see what it turns up. Chances are it can be fixed.

As with most of these type things, you probably want to try and get a good
backup before you start trying to repair it...

Greg