Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Recover root password when using shadow passwords

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Recover root password when using shadow passwords
From: Al Licause <licause@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:47:12 -0400

Hello,

I recently did a very stupid thing on my v2.2.16 redhat Linux system.

In an attempt to figure out or implement NIS, I removed the shadow
password files and now cannot access the root account.

I've tried the trick of booting into single user mode and changing the
root password, but since the system is configured to use shadow
passwords, as soon as I go to run state 3, the password change
is ignored.

Would you be able to tell me how to recover from this most unfortunate
screw up ?

Al Licause