Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Backup tools

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Backup tools
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:38:00 -0500

The biggest differences are that dump backs up file systems, whereas with
tar you can specify individual files.  Do not gzip tar files! If there is an
error in reading the gziped file, you loose the entire archive, whereas tar
can recover from read errors.

> Against my suggestion, the company got an HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape
> drive.  The tapes hold 8GB using compression and 4GB natively.  How do I
> get the tape to hold 8GB using Linux?

IIRC, most (if not all) drives with hardware compression will apply it
automatically.

> For the first backup yesterday, mainly to see if it worked, I did a simple
>     tar cvf /dev/tape /
> While it was running, I kept getting a strange error message of:
>     ttyS0: x input overrun(s)
> I have a UPS connected on ttyS0.  It appears that the backup worked
> though.  Can these errors be ignored?

It could be interrupt related. The tape drive may have been stressing things
a bit.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx