Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2000:
[linux-help] Backup tools

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Backup tools
From: Ryan Claycamp <claycamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:57:41 -0500

I am finally getting the backup system working again here at work. I remember a presentation about nine months ago on backups, but can't find my notes. What was the consensus, dump, tar, etc.? Also, what is the best schedule to use?

Against my suggestion, the company got an HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape drive. The tapes hold 8GB using compression and 4GB natively. How do I get the tape to hold 8GB using Linux?

For the first backup yesterday, mainly to see if it worked, I did a simple
   tar cvf /dev/tape /
While it was running, I kept getting a strange error message of:
   ttyS0: x input overrun(s)
I have a UPS connected on ttyS0. It appears that the backup worked though. Can these errors be ignored?

Ryan
--
Visit the Guernsey Aviation web site: http://www.guernseyaviation.com/