Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: name service

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: name service
From: "John Alexander" <johnalexander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:46:59 -0500

Compile/make sure ip-masquerade is compiled into the kernel, then set up
ipchains to deny all incoming connections, and forward all packets from the
local network out through ipmasq, something like:

ipchains -P forward DENY # shuts off the incoming connections
ipchains -A forward 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ # all connections out gets sent
through ipmasq.

You would obviously change the ip address/subnet mask to your settings.
These lines are for kernel 2.2, and can be added to the rc.local (that's
what it is in RH, dunno 'bout deb, it makes my brain hurt) or, you oculd put
them in a startup script, but put them in BEFORE you start up the network,
that way you don't have to worry about somebody sending packets through
before your firewall is up.

ja