Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: naming conventions

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: naming conventions
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 16:47:42 -0500

Others will be more knowledgeable about this, but the .c file is the source
code for a C or C++ program as written by a programmer.  It has to be compiled
into a .o file, which is an object file - in machine language.

Most of the ethernet drivers I have seen have a line near the end that gives
the command needed to compile it.
Use "less xirc2ps_cs.c" to view the file and look near the end for something
like "gcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c xirc2ps_cs.c"  Move the
file to the Linux system and type in the command line beginning with gcc.

If it works you will get a .o file.

If you get 50 screens of errors, you may have to tell it where to find the
include files by adding -I/usr/ ... (wherever your include files are.  )
Include files are those ending with .h.  Mine are at  /usr/src/linux/include/

Good luck     bruce