Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Using email addy in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (pppd + pap)

To: Debian Users <debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Using email addy in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (pppd + pap)
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:54:48 -0500

Hello all.

I've run into a bit of a vexing problem.  My ISP has opened up access
outside of its normal coverage area into an are I travel frequently.
However, they told me that instead of my normal userid, I'm to login
to the remote system with my email address as my login.  The trouble
is that pppd seems to barf on it.

I've tried the login using my normal ID into the remote site and
pap authentication is negotiated, but fails due to the incorrect
userid.  When I put the email address into the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
file, pppd refuses to negotiate pap authentication, sending
naks to the host after each pap authentication request.  I'm
suspecting the @ in the email address as that tells pppd to look
for passwords in the filename following @.  I read the FM and
all I found were the normal escapes, \ and quoting the string
with "".  All have failed.

Ideas?

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | heartily, but good