Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Re: root password

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: root password
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:53:29 -0500

For future reference:

You should also be able to boot the system into "single user mode", which will
give
you a root shell w/o password (assuming you have physical access to the console;
nothing else is running). At your lilo prompt, type

   linux s

replacing "linux" with whatever your kernel is called in /etc/lilo.conf; you can
probably replace "s" with "single" -- I only tested the former.

Once you are running as root, edit /etc/shadow to remove the root password, or
/etc/passwd if you are not using shadow passwords. (Of course, you _should_ be
using shadow passwords.) To switch to multi-user mode, run

   init 3

or reboot. (If you normally come up with a X running and some sort of graphic
login, you're probably at runlevel 5 rather than 3. The runlevel numbers are
pretty arbitrary -- they really just tell init to run scripts from
/etc/rc.d/rc?.d/,
where ? is your intended runlevel.)

--
/*