Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: web server security

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: web server security
From: Jeff Schaller <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:12:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, John Reinke wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Jeff Schaller wrote:
>
> > > Is there an alternative way to set this up to make it more secure? Are
> > > there any alternatives to htaccess for protecting web pages?
> >
> > 1) don't give shell accounts on the web server
> > 2) run the web server as a particular user (not nobody, not root)
> > 3) put the htpasswd file outside the doc root of the web server
> > 4) don't run an ftp server on the web server (see apache's
> >    defacement)
> > 5) others...
>
> While this might not always be the case, I'm doing this on a
> school account, with 100s of students also having accounts on
> the same system, and I have no root access.  :-(
>
> It sounds like htaccess won't be safe in my situation so you
> can therefore ignore my first question. Are there any other
> ways to protect password protect web pages besides htaccess?

Well, there's different levels of paranoia, I suppose. If you
can't guarantee the security of the web server, you're just
pissing in the wind with the rest of it. Use https:// if you
can. Use strong encryption if you can. Use LDAP authentication to
a directory you own.

To directly answer your second question, though:
1) apache is (can be) modular, and authentication is one of those
   modules. If the sysadmin built and installed apache such that:
        a) authentication is a module
        b) authoverride is on for your site
   then you can re-do how authentication works for your site.
2) https://
3) firewall?
???

As usual with security, there are levels and there are spheres
of influence. Do what you can with what you have, and be aware
of where you're exposed.

-jeff
--
I yam Popeye of Borg.  You will be askimiligrated, heehee!