Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: web server security

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: web server security
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:56:39 -0500

John Reinke wrote:

> I finally sat down and learned how to set up htaccess and htpasswd for
> password protecting web pages. While it shouldn't have surprised me, I
> hadn't realized that since the web server would have to read the web pages
> AND the password files, all these files must have 644 permissions. This is
> not good, since anyone with access to the system can access the supposedly
> password protected web pages!

not exactly since the webserver most read them, make them 700 and make
them owned by the user the webserver runs as,
nobody in redhat, www-user in debian. That way only the webserver can
read them.

> Are there an alternative way to set this up to make it more secure? Are
> there any alternatives to htaccess for protecting web pages?

sort of, you can add all sorts of authentication in your programs, there
are versions that can get there passwords from a database instead, look
at some of the apache modules that do this.

> Thanks,
> John

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
President Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
"The IETF motto is 'rough consesus and running code'"

  -- Scott Bradner (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)