Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Can't set up network

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Can't set up network
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:46:07 -0500

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Why do you have two NICs if you're only using one?

You guessed it at the tail of your message - I want the linux box #1 to become a
firewall/server.  The eth1 card can be ignored for now - it has no cable on it.
 If
I move the modem to eth1, I lose all internet access - well, I guess I would
still
have it on box #1.

Eth0 on box #1 and Eth0 on box#2 and the windows box are all hooked to the hub.
All three can access the internet (through the hub) so it seems logical that
they
should be able to speak to each other.

> Naturally, the IP address of eth1 will not be pingable thru eth0 unless the
> Linux box is set up as a gateway *AND* the other boxes know to use it as a
> gateway.
>
> Imagine a city block with three houses, each with their own respective
> addresses.... 100 Somestreet, 101 Somestreet and 102 Somestreet.
>
> One of the houses has a backdoor leading to the alleyway.... address 200
> Otherstreet.
>
> Someone trying to find 200 Otherstreet when they're driving down Somestreet
> will get lost.
>
> It sounds like your Linux box has two addresses... the one from RR
> (24.x.x.x) and a private one on eth1 (192.x.x.x).  The reason the other
> boxes cannot ping the 192.x.x.x address is b/c they're on the wrong
> "street"... or, in real-world terms, they're on a different physical
> network.
>
> You either need to give eth0 the 192.x.x.x address, *OR* (usually
> preferable), plug eth1 into the hub, and use the Linux box as a gateway to
> the 'net (I assume this is what you're trying to accomplish in the longrun
> anyway).
>
> Let me know if I've totally confused you by now... :-)

No, I think you cleared something up.  I set up eth0 on both linux boxes to
192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.12 using netconf.  But when I boot up, they both
change
to something like 24.92.x.x.  The 192.168 addresses disappear.

15 minutes later:  I switched the cables around.  Hoorah!  I can ping and telnet
from box 1 to box2 and box 2 to box 1.  Now I need to figure out windows and
how to
get mail and internet through the linux box to windows.

Thanks, Jon