Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Laptop trouble...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Laptop trouble...
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:56:04 -0500

I am not sure what specific to do, best listen to someone who was there and
lived to tell about it. :-)

My 2 cents worth:
do a cp /etc/X11/XF86Config  /etc/X11/XF86Config.SafeCopy

This will save you the heartache of reconfiguring xwindows from scratch.  You
will always have at least one working copy, even crappy, it will work!  Then
you can play with the other copy with a clear conscious.

It is not easy, it took me an entire weekend to get my xwindows to work.

Mike

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I just got a used laptop, an ARM TS97MX (4 years old but solid). RH6.2
> went on without a hitch, but the graphics (especially the fonts) look
> blotchy and the resolution won't go above 640x480. I found some Web
> sites that talk about my "dreaded" NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD (NM2160)
> video card (apparently they were a long OS holdout), and they offer
> hand changes to the XFree config file. Problem is, I don't really know
> what I'm doing. And RH6.2 recognized the video and set up this ugly,
> blotchy 8bpp-640x480. Hence, I don't really know whether these
> suggested changes would really help. Please tell me ugly, blotchy
> 8bpp-640x480 is NOT the Linux laptop norm. Please tell me there is
> hope--without spending the big bucks for a 3rd-party XFree
> replacement...
>
> L.v.d.A.

Michael A. Holmes