Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Blood and Guts

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Blood and Guts
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:59:58 -0500 (CDT)

Lars, I thought about your question overnight, and wanted to say
this:

I hope I didn't come across sounding stand-offish with my return
question of "why do you care?", regarding finding where a
"printf" gets printed.

There is a serious series of questions behind that one that I
probably should have helped bring out:
1) Is it for a homework assignment?
2) Is it to debug something going wrong?
3) For personal curiosity?
4) To find where to change some behavior?

All of these have different motivations, and thus different
... well, questions to answer, and thus different answers.

To help give you a better scope on the question of "where does my
printf actually get printed?", think of this:

1) is it going to an xterm window?
2) is it going to a console?
3) is it going to the printer? modem? fax? ???
4) is it going into a pipe as input for another program?

All of these questions point in different directions at some point
in order to answer your question.

Does that help a bit more?

-jeff
--
Four NYPD officers were acquitted ... after they mistook Amadou Diallo's
wallet for a gun.  What do you think? "You have to understand, there's no