Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Help with spawning a program

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Help with spawning a program
From: Ryan Claycamp <ryanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 10:24:46 -0500

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 02:31:38PM -0500, Brian Chapman wrote:
> At 6/3/00 11:00 AM , Brian Chapman wrote:
> > From what i understand, programs control netscape through it's 'remote'
> > procedures, however if a netscape process does not exist, one is created
> > and is attached to which ever shell the calling process created it from.
> > So you could either make sure a netcape process is already running, or
> > perhaps you could have it spawned from its own shell (aka: bash -c
> > netscape ..etc..)
>
> doh! actually, ignore that last part it that won't help either. i think
> your only option will have to be an already running netscape process.
> perhaps you can launch netscape (maybe iconisized) at the same time you
> run mutt...or something...

Thanks for the suggestions.  I went back to the urlview program, which
is a simple script file, and saw it has three options for how a
program is run; XW, XWindows program; XT, Launch with an xterm if
possible or as VT if not; VT, Launch in the same terminal.  I had
written my own script to handle the call if netscape was already
running and it was set as VT.  I changed it to XT and it works great
now.  Of course I get a new xterm window, but I have it start as an
icon so it isn't much of a hassle.  Now I can close mutt and still
surf the web.

Ryan
--
Well that is half of one, six dozen of the other.