Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: GIMP & transparant GIFs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: GIMP & transparant GIFs
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:33:03 -0500

Actually I learned an additional (better?) way of doing this. It
involves the use of a Layer mask. If you right click on a layer in the
Layers/Channels dialog box, you can choose to create a mask. You can
then copy and paste an image into that mask position. If the mask is a
black and white image, anyplace that is white will allow the image
that you are masking to show through. Anyplace that is black will be
masked out and will be transparent.

For example, I had a black image on a white background, and I wanted
to make the black image be on a transparent background. What I did was
duplicate that layer, so I had two layers with the black on white
image. I then inverted the values on one of them (creating a white on
black image). On the other layer I created a mask and copied the
inverted layer to the mask. I then could delete that inverted layer
and I was left with a layer that had the original layer, but was
masked such that it was a black image on a transparent background.

Layer masks allow you to do all kinds of things. I just didn't know
they existed until I looked at some of the tutorials on the gimp web
site.