Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2000:
[linux-help] Re: 'chroot' help.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: 'chroot' help.
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:32:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Michael Holmes wrote:

> > Ahhh, sorry to confuse you more with 'sudo'. On my system, I can't
> > run 'chroot' as a user; that is, I can execute it, but it says
> > "Operation not permitted", so I used the sledgehammer of root.
> > What sudo basically does is run the given command with root
> > permissions; it's similar to "su root -c ...", only you don't have
> > to know the root password.  So, try just removing the 'sudo' part
> > of all the commands I gave.
> >
> NOW THIS MAKES ME NERVOUS!!  What if I want to hack your system; what,  with
> sudo I do not have to know your passwords?  :-(

Well, you'd have to know my password. Sudo will prompt you for
your password; there are options to have it 'cache' that for a
period of time, though. I also configured it with --tty-tickets,
which means that cache is only valid for the tty it was run on.

So even if you found a console where I was logged in, you'd
/still/ have to know my password in order to 'sudo' run anything.

Otherwise, you still would have to know to attack my non-root
account, and then once you find my password, to run sudo.

I think sudo is a nice tool in that it lets you distribute root
access in a fine-tuned way. It also logs every command, unlike
a simple "su root", which will tell you who and when, but not
what.

Now granted, if you don't trust people you're giving sudo access
to, that's a different problem.

-jeff, it's before 8am isn't it
--
Another possible source of guidance for teenagers is TV, but TV's message
has always been that the need for truth, wisdom and world peace pales by