Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2000:
[linux-help] Re: non-destructive repartition

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: non-destructive repartition
From: "Brinkley Harrell" <johnbharrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:42:58 -0500

What a brain-dead situation! I hope that you did not buy this from VaLinux
or someone else like that. I'll have to sell my stock.

Here's the facts -- you can simply change the type of /dev/hda1 to Linux
(0x83) and, then, issue a mk2efs /dev/hda1 as root and mount it. You can
either use linuxconf (Redhat) or modify /etc/fstab to permanently change the
mounting point and type. Ditto my comments on /dev/hda6.

Unfortunately, the only way to change the size of /dev/hda2 is to delete it
and reinstall it. But, if you are going to do that, why use extended
partitions at all unless you are going to have more than a swap and three
real Linux partitions.

>  2) Does lilo have to boot from a primary partition? Or does the
>     boot flag in the partition table mean anything if lilo is

If lilo boots from the MBR (check /etc/lilo.conf), it can boot any partition
on the disk. The boot flag means nothing. On the other hand, you can use the
boot flag to your advantage if you want to dual-boot the machine. Install
Linux in a partition with the boot flag active on it and have LILO write to
the boot sector on that partition instead of the MBR.

Now, if anyone else ever decides that they have to be in charge (Microsloth
products), all you have to do is run the Windows NT Disk Manager or MSDOS
FDISK and reset the boot flag to your Linux partition.