Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Linux on a Laptop ver 1.1a

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux on a Laptop ver 1.1a
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:52:29 -0600

The dreaded dead boot :-(

LI-

Second stage boot loader leaded, but could not run.
Use your emergency boot disk and type RESCUE, I am not sure whether or not to
capitolize or not.

What were you doing when you were on the last time?

Look for any of the following installing windows after installing linux.
Windoz thinks it owns your computer, it will assume ownership of the master
boot record,    fooling around with /bin(or sbin)/lilo,   or what I did 2+ gig
hard drive, I used /hda8 as my boot record, you must stay under the 2gig limit,
until the kernel is happy and at home.  (ie hda2 (being 10 meg) as /boot) this
would contain the kernel and boot stchuff.  I told lilo to put the boot stuff
in hda8 which was well well well past the 2 gig limit, the primitive machine,
before the kernel is loaded cannot look past 2gig, once the kernel is up and
going, it can see EVERYTHING!

If you set it up with a /home on a serarate partition, don't panic, you can
re-install and keep all your stuff!!  But see if it is something simple first

Michael

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Okay.  Something very weird has just happened.  I started up the laptop and
> all I see is:  LI_
> the underscore is actually a blinking cursor.  I think it's supposed to say
> LILO but it's just sitting there...
>
> Sorry to bother again.
> Jonathan

Michael A. Holmes