Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2000:
[linux-help] Re: sound problems

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: sound problems
From: glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:06:20 -0600 (CST)

On 28 Feb, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 02:17:39PM +0000, Justin Hamm wrote:
>>
>> When i log in as root, I can play mp3's, all sounds work, everything related
>> with sound works great.  I log in as a normal user, i can only play wavs.
>> Is there
>> something with my permissions not set correctly?
>
> Permissions sound like the culprit (bad pun!).  The program that plays
> your wave files probably uses /dev/audio while the mp3 player may be
> using /dev/dsp.  Make sure the permissions and the owner and group
> of both devices match.
>
> In Debian the best way I've found to handle this is leave the permissions
> on these devices alone and use the usermod command to add my normal
> user name as a member of the audio group.  I also used that trick to
> give myself access for ppp without mucking up the permissions on the
> ttyS1 device and the ppp start scripts.

or, if you put the correct info in your /etc/conf.modules or
/etc/modules.conf, it will correct this problem for you...  read the
documentation that comes with ALSA & use the alsaconf script to make it
easy! : ^ )

jesse

--
<<<Linux lloydix 2.2.14 #1 Sat Jan 22 04:29:13 CST 2000 i586 unknown>>>

There's an empty spot I've always had inside me.  I tried to
fill it with family, religion, community service.  But those
were all dead ends.  I think this chair is the answer.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes?